I was on the creative lead of the viral, in our first meeting not everyone from the team could attend. So the few that where there decided to incorporate both ideas into one (music and game). The idea we came up with was.
Mario Jukebox Racing
Four drivers, each with a theme song that they will be lip singing in close up/over the shoulder shots that are edited in through out the race (in the style of ‘the Stig’ from Top gear. The example just happens to be Morse code but you get the idea).
The rest of the video will be built up of shots from various angles of the race, all the while having members of the class stationed as the crowd ‘singing/vocalizing’ the bizarre theme song that plays during races in the Mario Kart game. (this gets everyone on screen and if orchestrated well, will sound great)
The vid starts with the game-like selection of driver, 3… 2… 1… Upon GO, three drivers head the correct way, the fourth (one of our french students) goes the opposite, later to crash in a head on collision with another driver, angrily shouting in french with English subtitles explaining that the Irish drive on the wrong side of the road.
As in the game, there are question mark boxes that when collected supply driver with bananas/speed/etc. BUT, this is also to be how the driver collects their theme song, thus ‘Mario Jukebox’ the Q. mark boxes would appear to randomly select a song but of coarse this is pre-planned.
1. Circle of Life – The Lion King
2. Opera (production, take your pick)
3. Rollin – Limp Bizkit
4. Stereotypical Indian song, ding a ling a ling a ling a, ding a ling….
This was the post that we put up onto the CM3 Facebook page, and then the cribbing and moaning started everybody giving out about everything. I had enough and said that we would have another meeting on the in college and whatever the whole team came up with would be the one we where going ahead with. Meeting day came and the whole team turned up this time and we used my whiteboard markers to take notes in one of the lecture rooms.
We decided that we would use coloured powder to through at each other. The start of the video would have maybe five students stating that they were Business study students etc and then the camera would turn to a creative media student and then the fun would start.
Really not sure how but we ended up with something that we all agreed on. It still need to be ironed out a little but we had the main parts finished. We decided to hold another meeting and this time we had some of the production team with us, to make sure what we where purposing could be done within the time frame. All the while we where communicating through Facebook coming up with ideas for songs etc.
The video was looking good, well better than everyone giving out about nothing. That is what we done for the video, came up with the idea and passed it onto the production team it took a lot of effort to get it done but we succeeded and everyone on the creative team where well and truly involved in the video you can see this for yourself at……….